Sunday, 19 February 2012

Carnival!!

Well the Spaniards know how to party. Starting on Friday at my school, all the kids were dressed up in an array of outfits, from snow white to smurfs. Here is the promised picture of the giant snake, which seems to have no reason or meaning behind it, except that it is carnival..

The teachers were all dressed up as mourners for the death of the public sector and carrying "no a los recortes" (no to the cuts) symbols. It was a really fun afternoon. Then in the evening I went shopping and bought a summer hat :) and then to a concert which was really good, followed by Catwalk with Rosa and Soizic. This is a club where the people really are crazy, I have never seen so many crazy dance moves in one place.
So Saturday morning, after sleeping very little, I met Catania, we booked our flights and hostel for Samana Santa in Malaga and afterwards, with Ollie we headed to Sitges for the Carnival. Ollie and I were dressed as musketeers, the best part about this outfit choice was when we encountered a group of 3 musketeers who called us over to say "todos para uno, uno para todos!!" Not quite the same as in English, but hilalrious nonetheless. We danced to a samba band around the streets of Sitges and had yummy frozen yogurt.
Today I returned to Sitges this time with Sam, Adam and Rosa to watch the official parade, it was really good, slightly less spontaneous when compared with yesterday, but really fun. I even got an action shot of a giant monkey!
We got covered in confetti, then after the parade we wandered down to the beach, took a few photos and ate a huge bag of churros! It was delicious and much needed seeing as it didn't feel that warm out. Sam and I bought masks to wear, and to keep as souvenirs, then we all headed home. I'm just glad that I don't have to work tomorrow as I am absolutely shattered!
I'll leave you guys with one final carnival themed photo:

No comments:

Post a Comment