Wednesday, 25 April 2012

Sant Jordi (St George's day) is celebrated in Catalonia.

I was excited to learn that England and Catalonia share the same patron saint and therefore they would be having celebrations. They traditionally give roses to girls and books to boys. At school it was celebrated through a  literature competition where books were given as prizes to children who had written the best texts in their year group. It was lovely, then they all sang some songs which included Puff the magic dragon in Catalan!It was amazing! I recieved two roses, one from the school and one from a local bar owner whose bar we go to every day. You can check out the photo on my instagram account.The children from 6th grade sold 2nd hand books (I bought one) for 1 euro and roses for 3 euros to the local community.
Later on in the day I wandered around Les Rambles and Rambla Cataluna where there were hundreds of stalls selling roses and books. I bought a second hand book for 3 euros and was given a free one off someone on the street. Result! It was so busy though, I don't know if I could go every year.
Then with some people from my Catalan class we went to watch a similar awards ceremony to the one at my school in the morning, just with adult Catalan students ad we listened to an author read an except from his book. 
It was such an interesting day, even if completely different to how it's celebrated in England. 

No comments:

Post a Comment