Sunday, 1 April 2012

Palm Sunday in Barcelona

Today was another amazing day showing my parents around Barcelona. We got an early start and headed to watch the Palm Sunday procession in the centre of the city which was lovely, a band, a float of Jesus on a donkey and people waving palms and burning incense. We popped into the church after the parade had left and I ended up talking to one of the women for quite some time, she was explaining the traditions and the saints and all sorts, it was really interesting.
We then wandered to the cathedral where we watched a crowd of people all getting their palms blessed whilst we sat with a drink. Then we got to watch some people dancing the Sardana (the Catalan national dance) outside the cathedral before we headed down through the Gothic quarter to Santa Maria del Mar, an absolutely gorgeous church. We looked at the nearby memorial which commemorates the siege of Barcelona in 1714. We then popped down a little back alley and found a tiny one room museum about the fore mentioned siege, but it was all in Catalan so we didn't stay long as my parents can't speak Catalan and I couldn't be bothered translating it all. Although the people at the door did seem a little shocked when I whipped out the Catalan on them. :p
We then headed down by the port and grabbed some tapas for lunch, I had to do all the translating and ordering as I took my parents to a local place where they don't speak any English. Then my mum popped back to the hotel for a bit of a rest whilst my dad and I wandered a little more around the centre and the Gothic quarter, bought the tourist bus tickets for tomorrow and sat and chilled with an ice cream and a coffee.
Then we all headed back out for dinner at Les Quinze Nits, amazing restaurant which I take everyone too, it's such good quality food in a lovely place at a good price. Then we headed back to near their hotel for a couple of drinks, and then parted ways to turn in for the night; up early tomorrow for the tourist bus route!
I love being a personal tour guide, its fun.
Hasta manana!
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment