Wednesday, 25 April 2012

My weekend in Cordoba.

I spent this weekend in Cordoba with Bex (Becky as I seemed to call her a few times for no reason), Jack and George the chimp. I travelled by AVE, what a lovely train journey, I got to see the scenery of most of Spain at 300km/h, and watch a couple of films too. 
The first day we wandered around the city for the afternoon before eating like kings in the evening at an amazing restaurant, I had chicken in a cheese and cava sauce, I can still taste it now... yummy. On the Saturday we visited the Mezquita which is a cathedral built within an older Mosque, the blend of the two cultures and styles of architecture is stunning and really encapsulates Spain's Moorish past linked to its more recent Christian history. 
We also visited the Alazar, a former palace with some of the most beautiful gardens I have seen, pools of water and plants of such a range of colours, it was simply amazing. You can check out my photos on facebook, can't upload then to blogger right now as I'm not blogging from my computer.
We also had a rather strange encounter with the gypsies, who you should always be aware of as they are known for pickpocketing. We were sitting on a bench in the sun when one of the most elaborate begging scenes unfolded. This involved a little girl of about 7 talking to us for a while before returning a bit later with a baby, asking us to hold him! Shocked doesn't cover our reaction. She then asked us for money, we declined and made a hasty escape. We had ice cream at 8.30pm, it was that warm, and then we relaxed, our legs were killing due to all that walking! 
On the Sunday we wandered again and sunbathed a little, it was 28degrees, had to be done. Then we parted ways and I got the AVE back to Barcelona, such a wonderful weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment